Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Summing up

Alternate title: "Toto, I've a feeling we're not over Kansas any more. . . thank God!"

That was a rocky ride home. Don't think it was just ME, all you people who know how much I don't relish flying. It was ROUGH.  For 45 minutes, while the in-seat TVs tuned to MSNBC were telling us that tornadoes were touching down in Oklahoma, we were flying over Oklahoma. While The Weather Channel was reporting from Kansas that flying monkeys were filling the skies*, we were flying over Kansas. 

*Not true.

Once the flight attendants were allowed to get up again, the guy behind me asked for a Scotch.  I asked for ginger ale and animal crackers.

But that's not why I called you all here today.

The summing up.

Between massive loads of laundry, I contemplated the overall experience of the past week. I had additional incentive to do so because, as luck would have it, I had an appointment with my therapist today. And finally, in a trifecta of enlightenment, I received the final sermon from Mount Oprah.

When I told my therapist about the women's conference from last month and about the week I just had––that list of new experiences that I wrote about here the night before I left for L.A. (traveling, traveling alone, etc.)–– she said, "So you've been stre-e-e-tching (she pulled her hands apart to illustrate) yourself." 

Funny you should say that. Yes, I have.

I am satisfied that I did what I set out to do.  I feel I have stretched, with all its multiple meanings. I feel motivated to keep up the physical work (I'll be researching and visiting a couple of local Pilates options), and I feel motivated to keep up momentum in other, less categorizable, directions. 

Pick your favorite metaphor: I'm on the brink of a new horizon, opening a new door, at a crossroads, starting a new chapter. There's me, Katie Couric, Meredith Vieira, and Mary Hart. And Regis. We're all going to be starting something new. 

And, of course, Oprah. I have a long-standing love-hate relationship with Oprah. But today, I didn't want to argue. I just let all the inspirational advice wash over me––be responsible for your own life; listen to the whispers in your head telling you what you are meant to do; bring energy to everything you do and everyone you encounter; everyone is worthy of happiness. 

Her 25 years and my last chapter of 25 or so years roughly coincide. Yet––another Oprah maxim–– there are no coincidences. So it's a sign.  

I'm pretty sure she was telling me to start my own television network.  

I don't know what the use of this blog will be now. I may keep posting, because I like the outlet, but please––PLEASE–– feel free to stop reading it. There will be no more celebrity sightings. There will be no more photos of my meals. I don't know what there will be. If anything exciting happens, I'll alert you all individually.

OK, just for old time's sake, here's my breakfast today. 


But I had to make it myself. :(

Oh, the punchline:

Guess how much weight I lost after exercising several hours a day and eating sensible, portion-controlled meals for six days?

0.0 pounds

Thanks for reading, everybody! I really appreciated it!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go. On to the second half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I am smiling out loud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was interesting and fun to read about your experiences, and not just because of the celebrities. Congratulations on starting a new chapter. I hope you keep posting!

    ReplyDelete