Monday, May 16, 2011

L.A. minus 2 days

Stop me before I go shopping again.

It's not that I'm buying so much, it's that I have spent so much time searching, searching, searching for the right items. And because of The Case of the Gala Shoes, I had to deal with a double dose of shopper's anxiety. Now the gala is history, and the shoes I wore ended up hurting anyway after a few hours, natch, but not as much as the others would have. Probably.

The new dilemma is that my host and benefactor (let's call him Ben E. Factor) informed me that we will be going to dinner with the Pilates guru and her husband on Saturday night. We will be going to Cut (which sounds like a club that SNL's Stefon would recommend: "LA's hottest night spot is Cut"). I googled it and found out it's a Wolfgang Puck joint. Must be kind of schmancy, right? I asked Ben what the dress code is and he said, "Nobody gets dressed up in LA. Everything is casual."

Well, I don't think Beverly Hills casual is the same as my casual. I see US Weekly--I'm no dummy. So I shopped in my closet and then spent multiple hours today at TWO MORE malls, not really knowing what I was looking for. An alternate identity, I guess. Something that would make me look like I fit in at Cut, and not like I was a middle-aged matron from the some east-coast suburb, with my Talbots sweater set, Rockport sandals, and Vera Bradley handbag.

But I couldn't find her/me in J. Crew (too young), Ann Taylor (too young), Banana Republic (too young), Bloomingdales (too expensive), Chicos (too Chicos), Anthropologie (too whimsical and, obviously, too young), or the aforemetioned Talbots (too me). I was going to give up and wear a mishmash of what I already own, God help me, when I turned left at Gap Kids and found myself in front of:


I had never shopped there, but I figured "Good enough for Michelle Obama, good enough for me." (You know I mean that she famously wore a WHBM dress on The View during the 2008 campaign, right?)


I tried on a lot of things, with the friendly help of "Nicole," and ended up buying two black sweaters and a pair of jeans. They all fit well, and they all still look like me, but with a slight continental shift toward the Pacific. I think I'll be OK. 

And anyway, Cut doesn't look THAT schmancy:



Relieved to report that my back is a lot better, thanks for asking, now that I've stopped trying to do Pilates. Bodes well, hunh?




No comments:

Post a Comment