Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The night before the day before

I'm not asleep.

I haven't had this kind of sleepless night in a while. I'm running through packing lists and don't-forget-to-do-before-I-leave lists in my head.

I can plan and pack for a weekend-in-New-York trip without a lot of thought. Same with a week-at-the-beach trip. It's a matter of repetition, obviously––the way you get good at most things. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? On the train, with a small suitcase packed with capris, black pants, a couple of tops, comfortable sandals, and a sweater for cool evenings. Oh, and practice.

Our recent weekend in New York was fun. Hot weather. A lot of walking.  We experienced the High Line, which is pretty much just walking, but a little bit closer to the sun, so just a tad hotter than walking on the streets.
I seem to have established a policy of not having any photos of myself  or any friend or relative on this blog. So here is a very boring photo from the High Line. I may have to consider amending my policy.
Other unpopulated sights from the weekend:
Wanna buy a bridge?



How about an island? $24.

Washington Square
There was a farmer's market in Union Square.
You know how in movies sometimes the female protagonist is some kind of soulful creative type who has a terribly quirky artistic niche, like constructing miniature furniture or photographing vegetables?  I could so do that! Look how photogenic they are! 



I guess I can let the haggis out of the bag and announce that we are going to Scotland. As if you didn't know. I will blog if I can, since there will likely be something interesting or, at the very least, scenic to report on. I can't guarantee that all the capabilities will be in place, but let's hope for the best.

Here's my tribute to Scottish literature: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. I read the book and saw the movie back in my impressionable years, and yet the impression that remains is dim at best. Still, it strikes me that it could be perfect material to be made into a musical, don't you think?
Annie meets The History Boys!


Maybe I'll try to locate a copy tomorrow to take with me. Easier read than anything by Sir Walter Scott, methinks.

OH! P to the S:
Celebrities! In NYC I saw––gathered under one theatrical roof:
Tommy Tune
Susan Sarandon (yawn; already saw her once, a couple of years ago)
Al Pacino
Nicole Kidman

That is a good crop, if I do say so myself.
But New York is easy.
If I see a celebrity on the Isle of Skye, I'll plotz.

No comments:

Post a Comment