Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Crack of Noon

Sunny day, sweepin' the clouds away.

Or is it clowns?

This is marketed as a "Clown indoor broom"


Fresh start, new day, back to the drawing board. I have lots of work to do, and I am gearing up to do it. Proportionally more gearing up than is strictly necessary, but one does what one must.

This, the blog posting, is gearing up for the NaNo writing, which is gearing up for the real writing, which is the project that I alluded to two months ago.

A few weeks ago, I had to pass through customs or immigration or whatever it's called when you show your passport to a stern-looking individual sitting on a stool at a not-very-intimidating little booth in a large room and before whom you must remember to be serious and direct and not make any sudden moves or end any of your answers with "Heh heh, just kidding." When he asked me what I did in "Massachusetts" (it sounded like it had quotation marks around it when he said it), I answered, "I'm a writer."

I omitted the "Heh heh, just kidding," and he didn't bat an eye.

I like to wear all black when I travel. It simplifies packing.


Though I didn't have to swear an oath, I think that makes it kind of official.

So, I'm a writer, you guys. I'm writing a novel, and I have an agent. Yup. I have a literary agent in New York City (ever heard of it?), whom I have not met but who calls me on the phone and writes me encouraging emails. And any minute now, right after I write 1667 words on my NaNo document, refresh a few dozen websites, make lunch, and possibly go out to CVS, I'm going to be writing that novel like it's going out of style.

And also, look at me going to foreign countries solo without getting all "What's it all about?" about it in advance––while six months ago I was musing profoundly about the significance of taking the train to New Jersey by myself. Stretching much? I'm Gumby, dammit.

Don't get too excited about the passport, though. It was Canada.

Here's what I did in Toronto:
Harrowing.
 Heh heh, just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment