Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Thirty

Yesterday I had my thirtieth Pilates session. My first was in L.A. on May 19, so that means that the 30 sessions were clustered within roughly three and a half months.

Loyal readers may remember this, from the Boston Body website:

Just complete 30 sessions every 3 months and you will achieve the body and the results you’ve always wanted. Our clients are the proof – it really works!


Also, I'm not sure if I have shared this basic tenet of Pilates before:

"In ten sessions, you will feel the difference, in twenty you will see the difference, and in thirty you'll have a whole new body."
––Joseph H. Pilates

This is either Joseph H. Pilates or Reginald E. Treadmill.




Alas.
I am sorry to report, dear reader, that I do not have a whole new body.

I'm not here to blame anybody. I'm just reporting.

I'll admit I'm disappointed in not having transformed myself in some measurable, confirmable way. Remember when I wrote that whole long thing about needing a test to determine if a goal had been reached? (It took me a while to find it; it was the last entry in June.) And remember how I was going to do four things this summer? And remember how summer was going to be the 100 days from whenever I decided it? I reckon there are about 8 days left until the day of reckoning. So, though I am a week early, let's reckon.

What of the "four things"?
I have gone to 30 Pilates sessions (and gained between five and seven pounds).
I have read a total of five books.*
I have cleared out zero cartons from my garage.

All kind of disappointing, to be honest.

This leaves the writing.
My postings here have slowed considerably. I didn't continue with the one-a-day Self-Reliance writing prompts.
But.

I do have this writing project, and it is very much a fish-or-cut-bait situation. Sink or swim. Put up or shut up. Poop or get off the pot.



Trademark infringement?  Sue me.


I'm not sure if it makes any sense to blog about my writing, especially since I'm not yet ready to disclose anything about it. Therefore, I'm not sure how I'm going to use this space from now on, but that has been an ongoing theme here, so I guess nothing has really changed.

I know this all sounds kind of down. Whaddyagonnado? Life is, as the class president at my high school graduation memorably proclaimed, a series of mountains and valleys. If I find myself in a valley and that's not where I want to be, then I have to conclude there's a mountain to be climbed. And that mountain probably isn't going to climb itself.


You were expecting a funny photo of a mountain here, weren't you? You know what I really want to end with, though, since this has been a summer rerun episode anyway? I want to end with this graphic, repeated from June:


Boy, seems like I must have been pretty smart in June.


*Because it took me five minutes to remember what book (besides Bossypants) I was referring to in my June 26 post, I am now going to list the five books I read this summer: Netherland, Joseph O'Neill; Bossypants, Tina Fey; How to Be a Woman, Caitlin Moran; A Visit from the Goon Squad, Jennifer Egan; The Paris Wife, Paula McLain.

No comments:

Post a Comment