Monday, June 6, 2011

Four things

Yesterday––great weather.
Deja vu.
At around 3:00, as I started to write yesterday's post, I realized that the library book sale was still on, and that Sunday is bargain day, when all the prices are half of what they were the first day, and a whole bag of books can be had for just a few dollars. I decided that if I put in the calories by walking to the library––and since there'd only be about 30 minutes left in the sale by the time I got there––the physical effort would justify buying a few more books. I brought along a canvas tote bag.


Ninety minutes, eight dollars, and thirteen pounds later, I had this:

Yes, The Fug Awards. Why not? Everything was nearly free!

I get extra credit for carrying thirteen additional pounds with me on my return trip! (Some of the extra credit is neutralized because it was SUCH a nice day that I made a detour to get some frozen yogurt. But it was yogurt, not ice cream! And it actually made the trip home LONGER! So, full credit.)

What was best about the afternoon (closely followed by the mint chocolate chip frozen yogurt) was the feeling I had while I was gathering up my selections. I ended up with a big pile of all kinds of books––whatever struck my fancy. It made me feel like I did back in the solar system–sticker days. The pleasure wasn't in acquiring the books, it was in anticipating the wide-open stretch of summer days in which to read them. And I realized that I have the freedom and the wonderful luxury of being able to enjoy just that kind of summer––all remaining 86 days of it.

So, as I walked home, the thirteen pounds of freedom made me feel lighter. Irony!
(Thirteen Pounds of Freedom is an upcoming inspirational thriller starring Denzel Washington.)

And so, it's decided.
This summer I will do four things:
Read
Write
Pilates
Unpack boxes of my mother's possessions

In 86 days, I'll reassess.

2 comments: